Time for an update. The outer sides (not the ones mentioned in the last post but the other two) of the tread bays are shaping up slowly, I reckon I'm at 50%.
And some details:
After I finish the side doors and some more riveting, plus a little more detailing I will move on to the hull. I'm still not sure how I want to deal with the sponsons and the lascannons. One painful question is solved unfortunately; the side doors will be permanently closed. I'm afraid it would be too risky to cut an opening now, should have thought about it earlier. It is a bit lame but I will live with it.
time for a minor update. Detailing this beauty proves rather time consuming, but I'm still quite satisfied with the outcome, if not the progress. I have just finished the inner parts of the tread bays:
a little more detail:
To tell you the truth I started this phase with a huge mistake, I glued on the outer walls of the tread bay, and I had to find out a complete different approach to the detailing. I was quite angry at the time, but I'm okay with the way it came out. It is not 100% finished, there are minor details missing depending how I finish the hull.
I have always had a soft spot for the old MkIs. Lately it struck me that the Sentinels just cannot live without one. There must be an ancient, venerable MkI serving as the chapter master's personal command vehicle, spit and polish but deadly. Pimped up with superdetail and modern weaponry.
This is the plan, and I almost succeeded, when I was the leader on the latest eBay auction, up until the last 10 seconds when someone sniped me. C'est la guerre, one might say, but I took it as a sign.
Though my last effort with the Mate pattern whirlwind turret was not met with great applause, I enjoyed building it greatly. This is the reason why I decided to put together my own Land Raider. I acquired the necessary plans from here (the BWC-Archive is also a good place to start -join if you are not a member already) and started to work. It was clear from the beginning, that the plans are not detailed enough for my taste, and truth to be told these early models are not very high detail in the first place. I'll need to spice things up a bit with extra stuff and a bit of kitbashing. I will love it.
First I started working on the tread well and bays:
Cutting 150+ plasticard circles for wheels make your fingers sore, but I'm happy with the results so far
This is the detailed tread bay before attaching the outer wall
Here I am now, after day two, hope you like it. More to come
First a little explanation for the relative silence: I started a few projects simultaneously that come slowly into fruition.
Giving away a bit of spoiler information, I developed an urgent need for a few Land Raider and Predator bits, so I started to ask around in the local gaming community for spares.
Máté came for the rescue and showing him my gratitude I spent a few hours on this Whirlwind turret. Máté is preparing for a tournament this coming Saturday and all he needed for his killer list was a Whirlwind. Since he has a spare Rhino and I happened to come by the missile part of an oldschool turret, I decided to help him out. It sounded like fun; and it really was. By the way this is my first ever scratchbuild attempt. There is plenty of room for improvement, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with it.